Codex Alera Ficathon
Jim Butcher's phenomenal series is complete. Now it's up to us to imagine what came before, during, and after, plus maybe a "what if?" or two!
What's a ficathon?
A ficathon is a fic exchange: someone writes a story for you, and you write a story for someone else. When you sign up, you'll submit two fic requests, giving your writer an idea of what you'd like to see written for you. You will also include a short list of criteria of what you are willing/unwilling to write for someone else. This can include specific genres, characters, ships, time periods, adult content level, etc. On August 25th, you will be assigned someone to write for, based on your this list. Pick one of their requests (or incorporate both, if you're daring) and go for it!
Please indicate in the "Spoiler Level" section if you haven't read all the books, so you won't be given a spoilery request or get a spoilery fic written for you. All participants will post their fic in this community (and in their personal journals, if they wish) any time during the "Stories Due" week. Each person writes and receives one fic. Simple!
- All stories should be at least 1000 words.
- All stories should be based on the Codex Alera. No crossovers.
- All stories should be spell-checked and beta read before posting. If you don't have a beta, let me know in the application, and I'll do my best to hook you up. Also, please let me know if you're willing to beta for others, and how many you can handle.
- If you can't finish your story on time or at all, let me know ASAP.
- All assignments and requests should be kept confidential. Like a secret santa, telling who you've got spoils the fun!
- All stories must be posted to this community at the end of the ficathon. Please, don't post before then! Feel free to post it to your personal LJ/IJ/DW/BBQ or on the official Jim-Butcher.com forum, as well. Jim has altered his stance on fanfic--he still won't read it, but he's cool with it being discussed in public.
Sign-ups: August 1st - August 22nd, 2010
Assignments sent: August 25th, 2010
Stories due: October 24th - October 31st, 2010
If you'd like to participate (yay!), fill out the following form in a comment to this post. Comments are screened.
Are you willing to be a backup writer:
Are you willing to be a beta:
Do you need a beta:
What you will write:
What you will not write:
Now get those creative juices flowing! If you haven't read them all already, purchase the Alera books through the Jim-Butcher.com Store. You can read last year's ficathon entries, too. Happy writing, folks!